We believe RCV is the best alternative to our current system for a variety of reasons.
1. Complies with the majority criterion principle. Simply put if a candidate wins a majority (>50%) of first votes they should win the election.
2. Complies with the Later-no Harm principle. This means under RCV, voting for more candidates won't harm the chances of winning for your more-preferred candidate. This removes the possibility of tactical voting that complicates the process for the voter. In fact, RCV is even less complicated, because you don't have to decide who the most viable candidate is that you can vote for.
3. Elects the Condorcet winner in almost every election. This means the candidate would win if they faced off head to head with each candidate individually.
4. Easily adopted in both single-winner and multi-winner elections.
5. Easy to understand, not extremely costly to implement, would revamp our democracy, and has the most momentum behind it currently.
Do you like this page?